Well, surprise, surprise! The dude (Steven Greenstreet) who thought that pointing out all the ‘hot chicks’ protesting at Occupy Wall Street was a great way to celebrate the “dedication and political strength” of women, is claiming that he has ’empowered’ the women and refuses to apologize!
BECAUSE…wait for it….
He’s an ally, women! So shut up and listen.
You know how to tell if a man is an ally to feminists?
1) He doesn’t refuse to apologize when called out on sexism
2) He doesn’t defend said sexism by claiming it is ’empowering’
3) He also doesn’t defend said sexism by claiming he chose to use sexist language because “it might catch more attention”
4) He doesn’t accuse feminists who call him out on his douchey behaviour of just ‘missing the point’. No, no, Steven, we totally get the point. You think sexism is fine and you think feminists ‘just don’t get’ how awesome sexism actually is (for dudes).
5) He doesn’t go with his ‘gut feeling’ when his ‘gut feeling’ tells him to go with ‘hot chicks’
And finally, most important of all:
6) He does not, not ever, try to throw his weight around by claiming that I WAS YOUR ALLY AND YOU’VE PUSHED ME AWAY WITH YOUR FEMINISMMMMM. *cry*
You are SO clearly not our ally, Steven. And we don’t want you as one. We don’t need men like you as allies, hokay? We need men who listen/hear. Not men who defend sexism on the grounds that it was just a ‘gut feeling’ or because it would get attention. We all know sexism gets attention. But yeah, you’re right, you are a marketing genius.
OH but OHHHH, are you SO “disappointed that these women are the face of feminism”? Do you think that is “such a shame”? Really? You know what feminists think is “such a shame” and do you know what feminists are “disappointed” in? That YOU, Steven, have anything at all to do with a progressive movement such as Occupy Wall Street and yet you are not progressive at all! You are just another entitled white man who absolutely refuses to believe that anyone could possibly have a perspective that is both different from your own and valid, all at the same time.