In a plush living room of a home in a wealthy suburb of Lagos, three teenagers are huddled around a computer. Kudirat Abiola, 15, Temitayo Asuni, 15 and Susan Ubogu, 16, are working out their plan on how to end child marriage in Nigeria https://t.co/JIap6TNZGl
— CNN (@CNN) May 25, 2019
- Three Nigerian girls campaign to change their country’s constitution to ban child marriage. CNN reports:
“More than a third of girls in Nigeria end up in child marriages, and with 22 million married before the age of 18, the nation has among the highest number of child brides in Africa, according to a 2018 UNICEF report.”
- James Stewart, a former Ottawa Sunday school teacher, has been sentenced to five years in prison for raping a woman at knifepoint.
- California’s Senate voted 29-7 to allow men to be housed in women’s prisons on the basis of gender identity.
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte joked about members of the Philippine Military Academy committing rape while pardoning punishments of the graduating class of cadets.
- A Church of England vicar resigned after being told to hide an 8-year-old student’s “plan to change gender” from their parents.