Sky News speaks to a woman who lost her job after expressing views that transgender women are “not women”.
— Sky News (@SkyNews) April 24, 2021
- An appeal is being heard in the case of Maya Forstater, who was fired from her position at the London office of the Centre for Global Development in 2019 for tweets stating that biological sex is immutable.
- French mayor Georges Tron, convicted of rape, is being allowed to continue to govern the town where he was elected from his jail cell. Women’s rights organizations Osez le Féminisme and the European Association Against Violence Against Women at Work (AVFT) circulated a petition calling for his removal from public office.
- As India struggles with the world’s worst outbreak of COVID-19, lawmakers are pushing forward with a plan to compensate women for domestic labour. Meanwhile, women who have posted to social media asking for help and blood plasma donors for family and friends afflicted by the virus are being sexually harassed.
- Teenage girls face nearly double the risk of concussion when playing football and take almost twice as long to recover as boys, according to research published by the American Medical Association.
- A study of over four million pregnancies across seven countries revealed that Black women have a 43 per cent higher risk of miscarriage when compared with white women.
- Two women in Papua New Guinea were accused of witchcraft by a group of men, who proceeded to torture them to force confessions.