— Speak Up For Women (@SpeakUp4WomenNZ) July 12, 2021
- A billboard featuring the dictionary definition of woman as an “adult human female” was removed from a building in Wellington after being deemed “transphobic.” The week prior, mayor Campbell Barry suggested the organization that arranged for the billboard to go up, Speak Up For Women, hold their meetings in “waste bins.”
- A teenage girl in Syria’s Al Hasakah Province was recently killed by machine fire in a so-called “honour killing” for refusing to marry her cousin. The perpetrators included her father, brother, and several cousins.
- A 25-year-long study of American Black women who frequently used hair products containing lye found an increased risk of breast cancer as compared with those who did not. In the U.S., Black women are 40 per cent more likely to die from breast cancer than white women.
- A U.S. federal judge approved a $73 million payout to the more than 6,000 women who came forward with allegations of sexual abuse against Dr. James Heaps, a former UCLA gynecologist.
- Violent offences committed by men who identify as transgender and are being recorded as having been perpetrated by women and skewing crime statistics in the U.K.