- The U.K.-based subscription service OnlyFans, known for its adult content, is set to ban sexually explicit photos and video on October 1st. OnlyFans claims the decision was driven by legal pressure from their banking partners. CNN reports:
“Last December, Discover, Mastercard and Visa all announced that they would suspend payments to Pornhub, one of the web’s largest porn sites, following allegations that the site had hosted child sexual abuse material. In response, Pornhub scrubbed its site of all videos that weren’t produced by verified partners and implemented a verification program that all users would need to undergo if they wanted to post adult content.
- North Carolina lawmakers are working to pass a bill which would raise the legal age of marriage from 14 to 16 and limit the age difference between a 16-year-old and their spouse to four years.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approves a “date rape” drug to treat a rare sleep disorder. The New York Times reports that experts are wary of the decision and concerned about the dangers of the medication.
- A Texas law banning an abortion method most commonly used to end second-trimester pregnancies is upheld by a U.S. federal appeals court.
- R&B star R. Kelly appears in front of a criminal trial jury for the first time in 13 years as the disgraced singer faces decades of sexual abuse charges.