Mass protests in Spain after 19 women are murdered by partners https://t.co/WOpR6jRM5N
— The Guardian (@guardian) September 20, 2019
- Protestors in over 250 towns and cities across Spain declare a “feminist emergency” amid a series of high-profile rape cases and 19 murders in which women were killed by domestic partners.
- Nine U.S. Democratic presidential candidates will attend “The Power of Pride,” an LGBTQ-focused town hall organized by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation. Candidates will likely address the Equality Act, which equates adds “gender identity” to federal civil rights laws protecting women.
- A Kingston trans-identified male is acquitted of allegations he sexually abused the teenage daughter of a BDSM sex partner.
- Speak Up For Women is holding an event in Wellington, New Zealand, on November 13, 2019, featuring Meghan Murphy, Dr. Holly Lawford-Smith, Dr. Melissa Derby, and Ani O’Brien. Feminist 2020 will explore issues like commercial surrogacy, gender identity, and what it means to be a woman going into 2020.
- In an obituary for Magdalen Berns, Deborah Lavin and Susan Chynoweth write:
“Her tiny stature belied her strength and courage — courage which was often called for in the face of harassment.
She never backed away from speaking her truth and encouraging others to step up and speak up also.”