Well done on reducing one of the greatest sportswomen alive to racist and sexist tropes and turning a second great sportswoman into a faceless prop. https://t.co/YOxVMuTXEC
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) September 10, 2018
- The US Open tournament referee has fined Serena Williams $17,000 over her reactions to the disproportionate and discriminatory calls that may have contributed to her loss in the Grand Slam final to Naomi Osaka. A racist, sexist cartoon about the incident that ran in an Australian newspaper has drawn worldwide condemnation.
- A male Goldsmiths, University of London lecturer, who professionally goes by both Natacha Kennedy and Mark Hellen, has been revealed as the ringleader of a coordinated effort to blacklist and threaten the employment of female academics who disagree with him on gender identity politics.
- Gwyn Conger Steinbeck’s newly unearthed memoir describes her husband, the novelist John Steinbeck, as a sadistic womanizer.
- Over 3,700 Argentinians — mostly women — have applied to be formally disassociated from the Catholic Church because of its campaign to oppose legal abortion in the country.
- Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) received over 3,000 coat hangers at her office in protest of the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the US Supreme Court.