- Today is the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion nationwide, yet American women are facing a wave of restrictions, bans, and court cases restricting abortion access.
- Victims of rape and sexual assault in England and Wales often have to wait at least a year to access rape crisis centers. Currently, over 6,000 survivors of sexual abuse are on a waiting list to be seen. Rape Crisis England and Wales spokeswoman Katie Russell told the BBC:
“Since about 2012 there’s been unprecedented need and demand for specialist rape crisis services across England and Wales…To have to turn people away is heart-breaking and not what anyone wants to do – and even worse for the person who has found the courage or strength to come forward and then be told that that service isn’t there for them.”
- Gender-neutral policies in the Netherlands contribute to the re-victimization of women, according to a joint report implemented by the Istanbul Convention and GREVIO (the Council of Europe’s Group of Experts). A press release states:
“The firm recognition of the power imbalance between women and men and its impact on women’s exposure has given way to a more gender-neutral approach…(which) sets out a view of domestic violence that is gender neutral with no recognition for women as a group at particular risk from gender-based harm… The report explains that gender-neutral policies bear the risk of interventions by professionals that lack gender sensitivity, lead to gaps in protection and support and contribute to the re-victimisation of women.”
- Jessica Yaniv has been arrested for assaulting a journalist outside a British Columbia court on January 14 and faces up to five years if convicted.
- A woman died in childbirth while acting as a surrogate for another family. Michelle Reaves passed away due to complications last week, according to a GoFundMe campaign created by her family.